MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
«OLYMPIC STUDIES, OLYMPIC EDUCATION, ORGANISATION AND MANAGEMENT OF OLYMPIC EVENTS»
The Master's Degree Programme is organized by the International Olympic Academy and the Department of Sports Organization and Management of the Faculty of Human Movement and Quality of Life Sciences of the University of Peloponnese since 2009.
- The promotion of knowledge and research on issues of Olympic philosophy and education, organization and management of Olympic Games, big athletic events and in general Olympic and athletic studies.
- To provide students with specialized knowledge at a postgraduate level on issues related to Olympic Studies as well as the necessary means for their academic, professional or research career.
- To provide a specialized workforce that will organize and direct Olympic and athletic institutions, promote the growth of programmes of Olympic education on an international level and that will contribute to the creation of a scientific background for the growth and organization of sports.
Postgraduate Master’s Degree in "Olympic Studies, Olympic Education, Organization and Management of Olympic Events"(MSc).
Bachelor degree holders from Greek and foreign Higher Educational Institutions, preferably officials of National Olympic Academies, National Olympic Committees, the International Olympic Committee and EU Committees for Education, Culture and Sport or graduates of Centers for Olympic Studies, Schools of Sports Organization and Management, Physical Education, Journalism, Economic Faculties and other Departments, as well as corresponding Departments of recognized institutions of equivalent status in Greece and abroad.
Duration of Programme
The duration of the programme is three (3) semesters.
The presence of the students at all the lectures is mandatory. The submission of module assignments and examinations at the end of each semester as well as the dissertation project at the end of the 3rd semester will determinate the success of the participants in this programme.
The history and philosophy of sport in Antiquity: the birth of sport and its evolution.
The modern Olympic Games (revival, historic development of the Summer and Winter Olympic Games – social, political and cultural aspects of the Olympic Games – Olympic Institutions – Olympic Law).
Olympic Pedagogy I: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes in school.
Sport and Ethics – Olympic Philosophy.
Research methods in Social Sciences and Olympic Studies.
Olympic Pedagogy II: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes for schools.
Olympic Games and major sports events: organization and management.
Sports marketing and Olympic sponsoring.
Optional Modules (2 from below)
- Olympic Movement and International relations
- Sports high performance: Olympic athletes and dual careers
- Strategic and operational planning of major sports events
- Financial management of sports organizations
- The role, organization and operation of Olympic museums and libraries.
Preparation, submission and presentation of Master’s Thesis.
All lectures are held in English.