MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
«OLYMPIC STUDIES, OLYMPIC EDUCATION, ORGANISATION AND MANAGEMENT OF OLYMPIC EVENTS»
The Department of Sports Organization and Management of the Faculty of Human Movement and Quality of Life Sciences of the University of Peloponnese in collaboration with the International Olympic Academy organizes and operates since the academic year 2009-2010, the Master’s Degree Programme entitled: “Olympic Studies, Olympic Education, Organization and Management of Olympic Events”.
This Master’s Degree Programme is an innovation for the Olympic Movement internationally. Its curriculum is based on the three pillars of the Olympic Movement: Education, Sports and Culture, which constitute the foundation of Olympism and Olympic Pedagogy.
The programme is taking place at the premises of the International Olympic Academy in Ancient Olympia and the facilities of the University of Peloponnese in Sparta. During the programme, all participants have the opportunity to experience Olympism, living in a multicultural environment, where special bonds of friendship and mutual respect are born.
The students may also attend a modern curriculum, which is flexible and based on current international developments as well as their own needs. Professors, researchers and lecturers from all over the world specialized in the Olympic Games guide them through the transition from educational theory to practice. This is taking place while the students are informed about the latest updates directly from various international centres, centres for Olympic Studies, the International Olympic Committee and the Olympic Museums.
Programme is proven by the total number of students that amounts to 294 from 98 different countries and its continuous support by sponsors, such the Latsis Public Benefit Foundation, Olympiacos FC and M/Maritime as well as the full support from the IOC Olympic Solidarity.
Objectives of the Master’s Degree Programme
- To create specialized scientists who will promote the development of Olympic Education and Olympic Education programmes around the globe.
- To seek and implement new educational objectives in an effort to create a scientific background for the development and organization of sport.
- To fill the constant need for leadership in the know-how to develop Olympic Education programmes at an international level.
- To further develop and expand dispute resolution skills as well as to educate on democratic dialogue and Olympic Truce, social peace, reform and social cohesion topics.
- To encourage the dialogue between young people of different cultural backgrounds.